Title: Jewel the Unicorn
Species: Talking Unicorn
Home: Cair Paravel
Physical Description: Jewel is a lordly beast with a blue horn and a creamy white flank
Tools: His horn
First Appearance: The Last Battle, Ch. 2 (1956)
~ The Last Battle ~ (1956)Tirian are rejoicing over the news that the Lion, Aslan, has returned to Narnia. Their joy is short-lived, however, when the centaur Roonwit tells them that there is no sign of Aslan's return among the stars, and the stars never lie. Not only that, but the stars tell of some great evil hanging over Narnia. As they are speaking, a dryad runs into their midst crying that her brother and sister trees are being felled. Before she can finish, her tree is cut down and she dies. Jewel and Tirian immediately start a journey through the forest where they find a large logging project underway and two Calormenes whipping a Talking Horse of Narnia. In their fury, they kill the two Calormenes. The Horse then tells them he is following Aslan's orders in submitting himself to such treatment. After hearing this, Jewel and Tirian give themselves up to the Calormenes, believing they have dishonored themselves. They are brought before Shift the Ape, who decides to deal out judgment to them later and locks Jewel in the stable. Jewel remains there until he is rescued by Tirian, Eustace, and Jill. Jewel and the others then rescue a group of dwarfs, but the ungrateful dwarfs choose not to aid them (with the exception of Poggin). The group is making plans to retake Narnia when Farsight the Eagle arrives to tell them that Cair Paravel has fallen and Narnia is no more. Jewel realizes that this has all been brought about by Shift's devious plans, and urges the Narnians to fight his unjust rule. There in front of the stable, the last battle of Narnia is fought. When Aslan comes to the door, Jewel is one of the Narnians who enter through the stable door where Tirian, and the seven friends of Narnia are waiting. Together they all make their way "further up and further in" to Aslan's country.
Jewel is the dear friend of King Tirian. His loyalty to Tirian, even in the face of death, is unwavering. When he believes he has dishonored himself, he gives himself up to his enemies to meet their vengeance without a murmur. When it becomes plain that Narnia has been betrayed by treachery, Jewel leads the charge and fully commits himself to the hopeless battle. He uses his beautiful horn as a weapon and fights valiantly, but the battle is lost before it even began. Jewel's dedication to his king and homeland is striking, and his place as one of the heroes of Narnia's last battle is well-deserved.
- "Nay, sister, all worlds draw to an end, except Aslan's own country." (LB Ch. 8)
- "Dear King... Farewell. We have known great joys together. If Aslan gave me my choice I would choose no other life than the life I have had and no other death than the one we go to." (LB, Ch. 9)
- "It may be for us the door to Aslan's country and we shall sup at his table tonight." (LB, Ch. 12)
- "I have come home at last! This is my real country! I belong here. This is the land I have been looking for all my life, though I never knew it till now. The reason why we loved the old Narnia is that it sometimes looked a little like this. Bree-hee-hee! Come further up, come further in!" (LB, Ch. 15)
- Philip Sully: Focus on the Family Radio Theater, 1999 – 2002
- Chris Pavlo: BBC Radio Tales of Narnia